Wednesday, March 23, 2011

SEVEN SAMURAI (1954, Akira Kurosawa)



I first began to dabble into Akira Kurosawa (and classic world cinema, in general) over a year ago. Despite being the world filmmaker titan that he is, my first encounters with Kurosawa didn't go over as smoothly as expected. But perhaps my tastes are changing, or I am simply becoming more in tune with his style (probably both), but upon revisiting his perhaps most major classic, Seven Samurai, a film which initially underwhelmed me, I can now unequivocally say it is a great film and truly worthy of its mega-classic status.

I'm sure most know or could recognize its plot-line -- after-all, it's been used in remakes such as the western The Magnificent Seven (which admittedly I am not too fond of) and the adequate Pixar remake A Bug's Life. During the 1500s in Japan, a peasant village is continually robbed and brutalized by bandits. When one of the villagers hears that the bandits will return again, this time possibly taking everything, the desperate villagers seek help from seven skilled samurai, whom they can't pay with money but have to instead offer food. Seven Samurai's high popularity isn't surprising, given the fact that the story is remarkably accessible, especially for western audiences like myself. To put it simply, it's basically a Western but with samurais instead of cowboys.

Even with its nearly 3 1/2 hour running time, the film is remarkable entertainment from start to finnish, and most of the time simply flies by. Each of the samurai characters are well-drawn, interesting, and outstandingly acted, with classic Japanese actors Takashi Shimura and Toshiro Mifune being even bigger standouts. Much of the film is a build-up to the long extended battle sequences in the end, yet perhaps the most fascinating section of the film for me is watching the interaction between the samurais and the peasant villagers, where Kurosawa takes time to address the class system. We watch as the villagers amusingly cower away from the samurais, but it is also revealed some of the samurais mild (but still present prejudices), all leading to Mifune's character's powerful, impassioned speech. And yet underneath all that is a tender love-story between the youngest, most inexperienced samurai and one of the daughters of the villagers, a plot-line which could have been cheesy but is instead handled quite effectively. When the villagers and samurai finally gel, it feels real. Through all the character-development and other small details, it has been earned. So while some may say that the build-up is too long, I feel it is perfect and essential to the success of the film.



I would reckon that for about 3/4 of the movie, it is essentially FLAWLESS entertainment. Gripping story, excellent character interactions, great moments of humor, and brilliantly photographed. Kurosawa really knows how to position the camera, actors, and stage the action. Some of the epic shots are masterful, and his use of weather, landscape, and simply the geography of the village is at times incredible. That said, like with his major American influence in John Ford, I feel that pacing wasn't always his strongest suit. And, don't get me wrong -- the film is fast-paced and doesn't have any major issues at all, yet I do find some nearly inexplicable lags in the latter stretch of the film. I feel that it is in the climax of the subplot between the young samurai and the peasant girl, for while it is perfectly developed and essential to the film, it's placement right before the climactic battle strikes me as awkward, and I feel it slightly  drags the film down a tad.

That said, that seriously is my only complaint which, considering its 207 minute running time, is pretty damn impressive. And really, the final battle scene, soaked in rain, mud, and blood, damn near makes up for it. Better yet, the film showcases one of the greatest bitter-sweet endings I have seen in all of cinema. The villagers sing on in celebration from a distance after defeating the bandits, while the remaining alive samurai stand from a far and look on in grief. Even more tragically, the young samurai looks on in the distance as he watches the young girl he loves celebrate with the villagers. Nothing has to be said, their love will be no more, their fleeting romance is over. Both the samurais and villagers, despite living and fighting and dying together in the past month time, will go on their separate ways, and it will be accepted without having to say a word. Kurosawa's masterpiece shows us the power of a united people, how under harsh conditions these social barriers can be shattered, yet in the end we are given a sobering reminder of what powers these barriers still hold.  I find it to be a subtly powerful ending to a great film.

9/10

4 comments:

  1. I've watched Seven Samurai with groups before, and they always complain about the culmination of the romance subplot. They always have the same problems with it that you do. To me, that section is like the calm before the storm. I knew a big battle was coming up even during my first viewing, so I was fine with experiencing the anxious energy running throughout the village, much of it channeled through the romance subplot. It does indeed slow the movie down, but I've never minded it as a break from the pacing.

    I posted about Seven Samurai and Throne of Blood a while back. You can check it out if you want to: http://enterthemovies.blogspot.com/2009/06/seven-samurai-or-throne-of-blood.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kyle,

    The first time I watched the film, I didn't actually like the romance subplot at all. This time I just had that minor quibble with the culmination, as you put it. I imagine on further viewings my problems with the pacing might just evaporate completely. This is a film which I can definitely see myself returning to again and again in the future.

    Thanks for the links of your write-ups. I myself would still probably put "Throne of Blood" slightly ahead as my favorite Kurosawa, but they are really about neck and neck now. I really love to re-watch that film as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good review larma. I felt similarly to your initial reaction, but I haven't felt compelled to revisit this one.

    For my money, samurai films and Westerns are the same exact genre, just set in different countries. The mythology and iconography of both genres are roughly the same, and as you note Kurosawa was directly influenced by Ford and George Stevens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'd probably like Masaki Kobayashi's two major samurai flicks, "Samurai Rebellion" and "Harakiri", as they are in the same vein as revisionist Westerns -- or, in this case, revisionist Samurai films -- in that they serve as a critical examination of the authoritarian samurai code and the distorted samurai myths. Differing from Kurosawa, Kobayashi's style is also much more disciplined and intensely restrained, making quite powerful movies. That said, I think it would be quite unfair to label "Seven Samurai" as a film which glorifies the samurai legend, given the complexity of the story and its characters.

    I still need to check out more samurai films though, most notably "Sword of Doom".

    ReplyDelete