Saturday, April 9, 2011

Sidney Lumet RIP (1924 - 2011)


A legendary American director (and a favorite of mine), Sidney Lumet, has left us today, dead at age 86. Making his departure even more saddening is the fact that, even at his older ager, he was still directing new films, including most recently the much acclaimed heist film of Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, released in 2007.

Despite having an extremely prolific career, his best film is perhaps his feature debut, the classic court-room drama, 12 Angry Men, a film which is amazingly cinematic and transcends its genre and becomes an extremely intense and profound exploration of group interaction -- an endlessly fascinating film which only gets better each viewing and is in my top 5 films.

Network, my second favorite film of his, is a masterpiece in outrageous satire, extremely compelling and brilliantly acted, one of the greatest scripts ever. I have also seen Fail-Safe, Serpico, and Dog Day Afternoon, each very good films and well worth seeing. But alas, there is still so much more to see, so I look forward to exploring more of his work.

RIP

2 comments:

  1. RIP. 12 Angry Men is one of my all-time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, he's one of my favorites. He'll be missed.

    Strangely, I seem to be one of the few not enamored with 12 Angry Men, not even one of his 5 best movies I don't think.

    ReplyDelete